E.g. if I extract age from DICOM header, that is allowed to use, right?   is the header in fast queue, especially sub challenge 1 fast queue, consistent with the real queue? **that we can use it to deduce what fields are available?**   thanks a ton.

Created by Yuanfang Guan ???? yuanfang.guan
ok. thanks. and that's fine. there aren't many female participants around. so presumably should be me thanking you guys for helping improve breast cancer detection.
Hi Yuanfang, I want to give you a more precise answer than above. In both Sub-Challenges, you can attempt to use all the metadata fields available in the DICOM mammography images. Clinical and demographic information that are supposed to be available only in Sub-Challenge 2 through the exams metadata table have been removed (replaced by ""). Yet because we are eager to answer the scientific questions associated to each Sub-Challenge, I hope that you will contact us if you find signal from a field that is unlikely to advance breast cancer detection in the scenario defined by Sub-Challenge 1. > Can you and other participants not talking like this? Since when that I become equivalent to the signature of 'gaming a challenge'? Can I ask where did you get this idea? It was not my intention to mean that you are attempting to game the challenge, but mainly to make a general statement. I'll never say it enough, but thank you so much to you and all the other participants for helping improve breast cancer detection.
>Just to make sure, are you saying that you have extracted non-empty values from it? Yes, I think I extracted Age and Sex at least once in pilot data, but I cannot remember if it is changed later on. actually as i remember there is a male with at least a D-cup. but I was thinking in the US anything could happen. >Methods that attempt to game a sub-challenge by avoiding to answer the research question will not be eligible for the cash prize. Can you and other participants not talking like this? Since when that I become equivalent to the signature of 'gaming a challenge'? Can I ask where did you get this idea?
Hi Yuanfang Guan, The field "age" has been removed from the DICOM metadata header. Just to make sure, are you saying that you have extracted non-empty values from it? > E.g. if I extract age from DICOM header, that is allowed to use, right? No, this is not allowed. The [Challenge questions](https://www.synapse.org/#!Synapse:syn4224222/wiki/401749) state that the usage of clinical/demographic information is only available in Sub-Challenge 2. Note that all clinical/demographic information should have been removed from the DICOM header (replaced by ""). Our research interest in Sub-Challenge 1 is to investigate how well a predictor can perform using only the images (array of pixels) and technical DICOM metadata (e.g. X-ray intensity). If you have a doubt regarding the usage of a specific DICOM metadata field, please ask. Methods that attempt to game a sub-challenge by avoiding to answer the research question will not be eligible for the cash prize. > is the header in fast queue, especially sub challenge 1 fast queue, consistent with the real queue? that we can use it to deduce what fields are available? The fields that you can use are defined by the challenge questions and the above guideline and less by their availability in the DICOM header. Thanks!

Just to make sure, can we use metadata extracted from DICOM header in sub-challenge 1? page is loading…