I have a file stored in Synapse already. From the client (preferably R) I want to create a new version, but the local file name changes. I see in the [docs](http://docs.synapse.org/articles/files_and_versioning.html#uploading-a-new-version-of-a-file) that I can do this if the file name is the same. Is there a way that I can automatically upload the new version to an existing entity when the file name is different?

Created by Kenneth Daily kdaily
Thanks @larssono! That would work if I knew _a priori_ the ID of the file. However, I want to use the fact that creating a `File` object with a specified `name` will update an existing `File` entity with that name.
I don't think Kenny is answering the question that Kenny is asking. If you don't want to change the filename you can just update the path on the 'File' object then store the 'File' object to update an existing file.
Turns out it's just hidden in the documentation. The `File` object from the Synapse R client can take a `name` parameter.

Create a new version of a file where the file name is different page is loading…