First of all, thank you Synapse for providing this data portal and all the collaborators for depositing their valulable data. I am trying to download raw RNA-seq data files (from the ROSMAP study), total size of 4.3 TB. The estimated download time for these data is >5k hours, which is more than half a year. This would result in a download speed of < 300 KB/s, which is obviously orders of magnitude below what should be possible. I am wondering whether this is due to my region (Germany), or if other users from overseas have experienced faster speeds. Maybe there is a way to increase download speed programatically? Or, let's say I wanted to batch-download muptiple files at once using the R client -- will it max out my internet line, or will it altogether be restricted to 300 KB/s? Unfortunately, I cannot tell because the R client will not inform you about download progress or speeds. Otherwise, it would actually make more sense to have someone send the data on a physical hard drive (while defying the purpose of the platform!)...

Created by Felix Struebing fstruebi
Hi @larssono, and thank you for the suggestions - indeed, I am getting much better speeds (>2 MB/s) now with my private laptop on our university's public network. Before, I'd only tried it on our workstation, which is connected to a closed off part of the network (due to German HIPAA) that scans each file for viruses while it's being downloaded, hence the slowdown. It is a big PITA that I have to use my private resources for that, but that is obviously besides the point here. Thanks again!
Hi @fstruebi: That is at least a couple of orders of magnitude less than what we usually see for downloads from Synapse. Do you know what speeds you see on your connection to other locations (i.e. what does fast.com or speedtest show)? As for tracking speed interactively, if you use the [command line](https://python-docs.synapse.org/build/html/CommandLineClient.html) client it outputs the instantaneous speed which might be useful for testing purposes.

AMP-AD download speed (unbearably) slow page is loading…