Hi, This question is mainly out of general curiosity, but I'd like to have a clearer understanding of what happens when data is uploaded through Synapse and stored in an S3 bucket associated with a particular project. For example, there is a file that is currently stored in s3 at `s3:///3419599/7aef99e4-59e2-4788-8e16-734ad8182f32/` I'm curious where the `3419599` comes from -- I thought perhaps it was a `syn` identifier, but that does not appear to be the case. Is it just a random number? in what type of situation would another one of these folders be created in this particular bucket? (some projects I work with have just one of these, others have more than one) I believe the `7aef99e4-59e2-4788-8e16-734ad8182f32` is some sort of uuid generated based on a hash of the file, but I'd be interested in knowing for sure. I think that I have noticed that if multiple identical files (same file name, same contents) are uploaded into _different_ folders within the _same_ project, they are getting "mapped" to the same s3 object even though they have different `syn` identifiers -- is that plausible? I'm not planning on constructing anything that relies specifically on how this s3 url is constructed, but I'd really like to have a better understanding of what happens when someone uploads data through Synapse and it is stored in a specific external bucket that has been associated with that Synapse project. thanks! Sheila

Created by Sheila M Reynolds SheilaMReynolds
> I'd really like to have a better understanding of what happens when someone uploads data through Synapse Sheila: The best answer I can give is that the file prefix is essentially arbitrary and the pattern used is subject to change. The 'contract' that Synapse adheres to is that the Synapse entity ID ('syn123456') is stable and dependable and Synapse will 'map' this ID to the S3 object ID upon request. Synapse may leverage replication for efficiency, e.g., if you upload the same file in two places there may be just one S3 object.

understanding S3 object url construction page is loading…