Dear challenge organizers, Hi. I am SungJoonPark. First of all , thanks for organizing the challenge with great opportunities. I'm glad to participate in this challenge to learn and share the ideas of the disease module identification with great researchers. And after reading the challenge descriptions, I have a question about the challenge goal. As I understood, we should identify the modules(subnetworks) only using the network topology without considering the the genomic profiles such as gene expression, mutation. In this case, we are assuming that the important subgraph obtained from the network topology will also be meaningful module in the biological network?? What I thinks is that the important modules in the network will be different from various diseases, so we should consider the genetic information when identifying the module. And also, I just want to be sure that the 'module' is a subnetwork that the elements in the module should be forming the graph ,right? Again, Thanks for opening the great challenges. SungJoonPark

Created by Sungjoon Park Sungjoon
Dear Sarvenaz Choobdar, Thank you for the reply. I could understand the challenge's goal and notion of the module clearly. Again, thank you SungJoonPark
Dear SungJoonPark, As you said participants are challenged to identify modules only using the network topology without considering any other source of information. Of course including genetic information can improve precision of identified modules related to a particular disease. However this challenge is designed such that no information other than network topology is allowed to be used for module identification. This way the identified modules would be more general purpose. A module is a set of genes that are more connected to each other than the rest of the genes in the network. A module is a subgraph of the original network but it does not have to be an induced subgraph. Sarvenaz

Questions for the Challenge page is loading…